10-Day Northern Laos Adventure – Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, Vientiane
Laos Tour Overview:
Begin in Bangkok before journeying to the Laotian capital, Vientiane. Your guide will be there on arrival before continuing on to the idyllic mountain town of Vang Vieng.
Vang Vieng is the adventurer’s paradise of South East Asia, situated amongst stunning karsts limestone mountains, lush jungle, caves and villages. Over the next couple of days we’ll go from mountain biking in the jungle to exploring waterfalls and caves. You’ll have free time to go swimming or tubing in the river, explore an organic farm, walk along the riverside or just sit back and enjoy the stunning views.
After this, kayak the Nam Lik, which provides the perfect mixture of calm waters with an exciting section of grade 2-3 rapids. Discover traditional Laos life along the river and the spectacular scenery.
Continue to the UNESCO World Heritage Listed town, Luang Prabang and discover it’s vibrant night market and fascinating Indo-French architecture and temples. A short journey from Luang Prabang brings you to Kuang Si, a magnificent 50m high, 7-tiered waterfall.
• Discover the ornate temples and architecture of UNESCO World Heritage Listed city, Luang Prabang
• Kayak along the Nam Lik
• Mountain bike through the jungle and limestone peaks of Vang Vieng
• Village to village trekking off the beaten path
• Explore the spectacular Kuang-Si Waterfalls and swim in its many pools
Day 1 – Arrive in Bangkok
Arrive in Bangkok and spend the afternoon discovering hidden temples, energetic markets or indulge in authentic Thai street food! In the evening take an overnight train to Vientiane (Laos). Optional – Take a flight to Vientiane and we’ll pick you up at the airport and provide accommodation in Laos for no extra charge. This will save you the overnight on a train.
Day 2 – Vang Vieng (free day)
Arrive in Vientiane in the morning and drive by private mini bus to Vang Vieng (3-4 hours). Vang Vieng is the adventurer’s enclave of South East Asia, situated amongst stunning karsts limestone mountains, lush jungle, caves and villages.
Day 4 – Kayak the Nam Lik
Kayak the Nam Lik, providing the perfect mixture of calm waters with an exciting section of grade 2-3 rapids. Discover traditional Laos life along the river and spectacular scenery!
Day 5 – Bus to Luang Prabang (free evening)
Bus to Luang Prabang (6-8 hours) and have the evening free to explore one of Laos’ best night markets in this UNESCO-listed World Heritage Site.
Day 8 – Explore Kuang Si Waterfalls
Spend a relaxing day at the impressive 7-tiered, 50m high Kuang Si waterfalls. Swim in its refreshing turquoise lagoons or if you like you can hike to the top of the falls. This is paradise!
Day 9 – Bus to Vientiane
Early morning bus to Vientiane where you will take an overnight sleeper train back to Bangkok. Optional – Take a flight to Bangkok and we’ll drop you off at Vientiane airport and provide accommodation in Laos for no extra charge. This will save you the overnight on a train.
Day 10 – Arrive Bangkok
Arrive in Bangkok in the morning and have the rest of the day to explore this fascinating city. Don’t miss the Grand Palace and its Temple of the Emerald Buddha!
Tour Price: £795 per person (minimum 2 people)
Departures and Dates: We can run this trip at any time you like as long as there is a minimum of 2 people. We do not have set departures for this tour.
Your Trip Includes:
• English speaking local guide while in Laos
• Transportation as described in itinerary
• All activities mentioned – mountain biking, trekking, kayaking and caving
• Some but not all meals (for example lunch while mountain biking and kayaking is included, as well as 4 meals while trekking)
• Accommodation for duration of tour, not including Bangkok (accommodation ranges from guesthouses in Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang and a simple room in a local homestay while trekking to 2 nights in an a/c sleeper train from Bangkok to Vientiane). If you choose to fly into Vientiane then you receive 2 nights guesthouse accommodation instead of the train journey.
What’s Not Included?
• Items of a personal nature, such as drinks and souvenirs
• Meals not mentioned in “What’s Included”
• Visa for Laos (available to purchase at the border or upon arrival in Vientiane