2 day Elephant tour Luang Prabang Laos
Live the life of a Lao mahout, or Elephant care taker in the Elephant protection area at the internationally recognised “Elephant Village” just outside of Luang Prabang Laos in the mystical Lao countryside. See and feel how the Elephants and mahouts live and work with the protected Elephants, in harmony and close to nature at the Elephant Village.
It’s a simple life close to the Elephants and within lush tropical nature. The day of a Mahout is scheduled to fit the needs of the Elephants and offer you the unique chance to follow this natural rhythm. The setting is wonderful and of extraordinary natural beauty, here in Laos.
Also you will have the chance to ride the Elephants in the neck, to learn some specific methods of controlling the animals. You may ride a few times on the first day and get close with the animals during your activities and interaction…
Feed them, bring them to the jungle and learn how to clean and wash these massive animals.
A night close to nature and our Lao food will prepare you for the next day.
An early start in the morning will bring you back to the Elephants for a bath in the river. Than after breakfast prepare for your return or further activities depending on your booking. (This package include either a village and mountain Trek or Kayak tour back to Luang Prabang, unless you have booked our Super Saver Deal)
- Learn from your guide & mahouts
- Feed and wash a Lao Elephant
- Learn about the Elephant life
- Sleep in the Elephant Lodge, a simple jungle lodge
- Follow the Elephant trails in nature or over the river
- See and bathe in the Tad sae waterfall and relax
- Visit a village nearby and meet the locals
- Guide the Elephants into/out of the jungle
- Ride and feel them and learn about them…
Elephant Living like Mahout program Includes:
- Private transfers from/to project area
- Boat transfers on Nam Khan river
- Entrance fees for project
- All meals and drinking water on your tour
- Overnight in DBL or TWN Room in the Elephant Lodge (Standard)
- English speaking guide/supervisor
- Interaction with our Lao Mahouts & Elephants
- Tad Sae Waterfall visit (waterfall dry during Feb.-July)
- Elephant riding in the Elephant Village and river area
- Instructions about the Elephant and work as a Mahout
- Learning some training and controlling skills with Elephant
- Elephant Village Park Project contribution payments
- Choice of a guided Trekking/Kayaking on 2. day
Elephant program does not include:
insurance, alcoholic and soft drinks, tips
Requirements for this Elephant interaction program:
- Minimum age of 18 years or with parents!
- A normal level of fitness
- Love for our Elephants
- Respect the Lao culture, be open-minded
- Flexibility and tolerance
- bring sun protection, swimming suit, towel and shoes that can get wet.
- bring long trousers to protect your legs
The following EXAMPLE itinerary:
may change from tour to tour depending on the occupancy of the Elephant Village, number of persons in your group, weather and river conditions and other unforeseen circumstances…, remember we work with animals:
Day 1 of the Elephant Experience:
08:30/9:00 am. Departure from hotel / Guesthouse in Luang Prabang town,
10:45 am Arrive at the Elephant Village, Elephant Camp outside of Luang Prabang
11:00 am walk and ride with elephant by sitting on elephant howdah/chair
12:00 Come back to Elephant Village for buffet lunch
13:00 pm Introducing elephant and mahout, interaction time to learn more about Elephants
13:15 pm ride elephant to jungle and to their overnight place
14:30 pm Take time to relax and free time.
Optional: Visit Tad Sae waterfall, in season with water in waterfall
18:30 pm Enjoy the evening with a set menu for dinner
Day 2 of the Elephant Experience
07:00 am. Walk to bring elephant from jungle.
07:45 am. Bath to elephant in the river.
08:45 am. Breakfast at ELephant Village
09:30am Preparing for further activities : going on with Trekking or Kayaking
14.00-16.00 arrival back in Luang Prabang depending on you activities booked.
INFORMATION ABOUT ACCOMMODATION FOR THIS TOUR:
With the Elephant Interaction program you may choose various overnight options. The Standards and base package is with the Elephant Lodge. Other options are available though.
Pictures below are taken from the Elephant Lodge DBL room where you normally stay, unless you want to upgrade your stay. It is a simple stay in the Elephant Lodge, with only basic facilities, but with a bathroom to each room. The Elephant Lodge is located 10 min. walk from the Elephant Village and is located on the Nam Khan river.