2 Day Trekking near Luang Prabang Laos
This is a two day ‘Fair Trek’ adventure with great landscapes and interaction with local rural village life. The trek follows the slopes and hills of a huge mountain range and passes along Khamu and Hmong villages. Get to meet the local people and even stay overnight in one of the small family home-stays. You will get an introduction to Lao Loum, Lao Theung, and Lao Sung people and culture. Share life and get to know the real Lao countryside. As you walk through this area you help the communities through your contributions. The tour also includes a short visit to the Elephant Village and the Tad Sae waterfalls.
Highlights of this Luang Prabang Trekking Adventure:
- Great landscapes and mountain walks
- Learning about Lao countryside life
- Interactions with Khmu and Hmong villagers along trails and in villages.
- Trekking 300-700m through layers of flora and fauna in Lao forest and agricultural areas
- Evening activities and overnight stay in Khmu village home stay or village bamboo stay
- Try local food while visiting the local communities
Luang Prabang Fair Trek Trekking Itinerary outline:
Day One Luang Prabang Hiking (6-7 hours trekking, depending on season and trail conditions)
Trek two hours through rice paddies, middle canopy and steep slopes to a Khmu Village where children greet you. Ascend another hour along ridges, limestone grottos and rocky slopes for lunch at a Hmong Village. Mountains and valleys offer many opportunities to experience a variety of flora and fauna. Stop, look, listen and ask your guide about the life teeming around you. Approach Khamu village for overnight stay in family guest house. Dine with villagers and join a cultural activity. Rest peacefully at a village style bamboo hut or family home after trying the local Lao Whiskey. (Note: the houses are in Lao style simplicity and come with outside shared facilities)
Day Two Luang Prabang Hiking (4-5 hours trekking, depending on season and trail conditions)
Enjoy breakfast and set out for two hour trek along river bed. Then head onto small trails into a Khmu village community. Enjoy a boat ride on Nam Khan river to the Elephant Village or another local village for a visit.
- Transportation to Trek start point from Luang Prabang 8:30 a.m.
- Knowledgeable, local English speaking guide
- Local village guide where needed
- Lao Loum, Lao Theung, and Sung village encounter
- Local river boat services on Nam Khan
- Food in local village, fruit, drinking water
- ‘Fair Trek’ village fund contributions
- Visit at the Elephant Village possible
- entrance fees, local permission, taxes
- Fair Trek contribution